[Previous] [Next] [Index] [Thread]

Re: what are realistic threats?

> But what are they signing?

Indeed, some of these "certification" schemes are quite silly --
they simply rely on the assumption that we're supposed to be
impressed.  They are, quite literally, a lot of noise signifying
nothing.

As far as software distribution goes, by far the best guarantee
that it hasn't been tampered with is the digital signatures of the
authors themselves.  A signature by someone who hasn't closely
examined the code is quite a piece of lunacy, but I bet there will be
plenty of suckers out there who will be impressed by some particular
well-hyped chop.

Nick Szabo				szabo@netcom.com

Follow-Ups: References: